LearnWp offers WordPress workshops in the West End of Toronto
The purpose of your about page is to introduce yourself and your services/products and to explain why you’re great to work with.
Identifying your audience will help you to target your content. Answer these questions before you write:
Who would want to learn about word press?
What do you want them to know (or what do they want to know)?
Something to remember:
Your about page is about you. But you need to make it relevant to your customer/reader. Copyblogger co-founder, Brian Clark, says:
It’s [your about page] a spot for you to talk about yourself — but only in the context of how you serve your readers.
Okay, now you’re ready to write
Imagine that you are in a meeting with one person in that audience. Write as if you’re talking to him/her.
Section 1: Create a one-two paragraph overview that answers
- Who are you?
- What you do?
- When did you start doing what you do?
- Where are you or where do you work? Globally, locally?
- How do you do what you do and who you’ve done it with?
Section 2: What problems do you solve for people?
Open with “I help people” or have a sub-title “How I can help you”
Section 3: Why should people work with you?
Explain why working with you will help people solve their problems or explain what makes you different or create a paragraph about what added value people will receive when working with you
Other Important Page Elements
- Image: A professional head shot or a short video introduction
- Call to action: Think about what you want people to do once they’ve read this. Do you want them to contact you? View your portfolio? View your services? Call?
- Internal links: Link to the page you want them to go to next (your services page or contact page, for example).
- External Links: LearnWP WordPress Workshops
download our free glossary WordPress Glossary (pdf)